We’re amazed, as a small press, at the amount of query requests we receive. Many aspiring writers (and far too many childrens book publishers!) believe that by merely jotting down a few words on paper, a great children story book has been created.
They couldn’t be further from the truth! And so to spare ourselves any more pain, we are going to share some of the secret ingredients that go into producing great literature for kids!
1) A sense of humor! Not toilet and potty humor. Your kid is better than that. A sense of irony, fun, and surprise thrill children – of all ages!
2) A great plot. Children love real stories. Good old fashioned stories never went out of style. Kids still love them! And they always will. There is no genre for something that is timeless.
3) Painstaking editing. Yes! Even for a kids story, careful editing and rewriting is a must. At SwordPen Publishers, at least twelve pairs of eyes review every story – and often two or three times.
4) Great illustrations. Again, there are no shortcuts to producing great literature for kids. There are many who play the fantasy of “The Editors New Clothes,” when what they produce is truly naked of talent and creativity, as they proclaim it as “artsy.” Children are smarter and more honest than adults – and they refuse to call garbage dropped on a canvas “ART.” They love staring at a picture that has characters that show real emotion and character. They love detail.
5) Imagination. Children love fantasy. They love ‘just thinking’ about things. They daydream for a reason. Stories that allow them to imagine are stories that they will read again and again.
SwordPen Publishers prides itself by using the above ingredients (and many more wonderful tools of the literary trade) to concoct and spice up wonderful heirloom collections of great children’s books. Peter Elek Associates once described one of our favorite authors with the following accolade: “Your ideas are amusing and original. Your work is wonderful. You have a knack for ‘kid-appealing’ writing.” Compliments like that don’t come easy. They come to us, because SwordPen Publishers consists of a team of five-star (literary and artistic), world class chefs!
And that is why we can’t get out of the kitchen! We love creating “food for thought.” Our passion is to nourish the young minds of our future leaders with fiction childrens books. We sincerely believe that an adult is created by the time she is six. After that, it’s usually just more information that they acquire. But empathy, caring, self-confidence, positive outlook on life, etc… those have to be learned at a very early age. At SwordPen Publishers we enjoy teaching those lessons in a fun loving way!